From its beginning in 2006, Lovejoy ISD Athletic Department has recognized that physical activity is valuable for its own sake and that vigorous exercise is complementary to the educational principles of the district. The Lovejoy Independent School District Department of Athletics strives to compliment the educational process and to promote the Mission of Lovejoy ISD and the Graduate Profile of Lovejoy High School. Within this context for development, it is the mission of Lovejoy Athletics to offer a wide range of high quality programs that encourage and facilitate each participant to realize opportunities for championship athletic participation, physical fitness and well-being. Leopard Athletics will provide the opportunity for all student athletes to pursue and understand the values of attitude, commitment, responsibility, accountability, work ethic and team. Participation in extracurricular activities is a vital part of the total LISD educational experience and is an essential component to the well-rounded student that LISD strives to build. Student athletes should be encouraged to participate in multiple activities without sacrificing academic success.
The Lovejoy Athletic Department recognizes our Multi-Sport Athletes each week with the “Female & Male Multi-Sport Athlete of the Week.” This week we recognize Julia Brochu and Luke Mayfield. Julia participates in Girls Basketball and Track & Field, while Luke has been a member of the Football, Basketball and Track programs. Both students have had many exciting experiences athletically and academically. Please take time to congratulate these two fine students for their dedication to Lovejoy High School and the Lovejoy Community.
Julia Brochu – Basketball, Track
- Why did you decide to participate in the sports you have chosen at Lovejoy? I have always loved playing basketball, and it is really fun to have that experience in high school. Track is a fun way to focus on something else for a change, and I have a lot of fun competing at the meets.
- What Life skills have you learned from being a member of Leopard Athletic Teams? I’ve learned a lot of leadership skills, and different ways to handle difficult situations.
- What do you like best from each sport that you participate? In basketball, I love when we have a close game and come out with the win. That’s the best feeling ever. I also really appreciate my team and the coaches. In track I love the relationships I have built, and coach hernandez is awesome.
- What is your favorite academic subject at Lovejoy High School? Why? Math has always been my favorite subject just because I always feel like I’m learning something, and it’s something I understand quickly.
- Who is your favorite athlete? Why? Steph Curry is my favorite athlete because he is very outspoken about his faith, and he gives the glory to God whenever he gets the chance. He works hard, but he doesn’t take all the credit.
- What are your plans after graduation from Lovejoy High School? I definitely want to graduate from college but as far as where I’m going.. there’s no telling!
- What is the best part of being a Lady Leopard Athlete? I think the best part is the relationships I have built and just the fun memories from competing alongside my friends.
Luke Mayfield – Football, Basketball, Track
- Why did you decide to participate in the sports you have chosen at Lovejoy? Sports have always played a major role in my life and the sports that I participate in are the ones that I have excelled at and that come natural to me.
- What Life skills have you learned from being a member of Leopard Athletic Teams? I have learned that sports are bigger than just the game. I can apply game like situations to everyday life.
- What do you like best from each sport that you participate? There are many, but for track, it would be how it is best on best. Very few times is it where the fastest person does not win. Basketball would definitely be that you have to work together and cover for each other at all times. If one person does not do their job, then the whole team suffers. It requires every player to have great accountability. My favorite thing though is in football because I am learning what to do off the field and how to be a great man when I am older from my coaches every day. It is what our coaches preach and it is what I see in each of them.
- What is your favorite academic subject at Lovejoy High School? Why? My favorite academic subject is English because what is written is more than just words on a page. We just finished reading To Kill a Mockingbird as a class, and the book has so much to say about how we should live our lives beyond the text.
- Who is your favorite athlete? Why? Odell Beckham Jr. is my favorite athlete in many different ways other than being the best receiver in the NFL. He is an all-around athlete. He has hit a homerun in a celebrity baseball game, made a 40-yard field goal without a holder, dunked, and made the greatest catch of all time. He is outspoken about his faith and his beliefs. He is very passionate about what he does, although sometimes he lets his emotions get the best of him, he cares about the game.
- What are your plans after graduation from Lovejoy High School? After I graduate from Lovejoy High School, I plan to further my education and football career at the next level. It will not be easy but I am most definitely up for the challenge.
- What is the best part of being a Leopard Athlete? The best part about being a Leopard Athlete is taking pride in what we accomplish as a team both on and off the athletic field. Athletic/Academic Honors:Freshman Offensive MVP, Tom Landry Classic Players to Watch, Dave Campbell’s Players to Watch