From its beginning in 2006, Lovejoy ISD Athletic Department has recognized that physical activity is valuable for its own sake and that vigorous exercise is complementary to the educational principles of the district. The Lovejoy Independent School District Department of Athletics strives to compliment the educational process and to promote the Mission of Lovejoy ISD and the Graduate Profile of Lovejoy High School. Within this context for development, it is the mission of Lovejoy Athletics to offer a wide range of high quality programs that encourage and facilitate each participant to realize opportunities for championship athletic participation, physical fitness and well-being. Leopard Athletics will provide the opportunity for all student athletes to pursue and understand the values of attitude, commitment, responsibility, accountability, work ethic and team. Participation in extracurricular activities is a vital part of the total LISD educational experience and is an essential component to the well-rounded student that LISD strives to build. Student athletes should be encouraged to participate in multiple activities without sacrificing academic success.
The Lovejoy Athletic Department will begin recognizing our Multi-Sport Athletes each week with the “Female & Male Multi-Sport Athlete of the Week.” This week we recognize Carsen McFadden and Jacob Terwilliger. Carsen participates in Cross Country, Girls Basketball and Track & Field , while Jacob has been a member of the Varsity Football and Baseball teams for three years. Both students have had many exciting experiences athletically and academically. Please take time to congratulate these two fine students for their dedication to Lovejoy High School and the Lovejoy Community.
- Why did you decide to participate in the sports you have chosen at Lovejoy? I chose Basketball and Track because they were my favorite two sports. I participate in Cross Country because I think that the endurance that I gain through those workouts help me both on the Basketball court and the 4×400 meter relay in track. It also requires a mental toughness that translates to everything I do whether it be on the basketball court or while pole vaulting. Both activities require a tremendous amount of focus.
- What Life skills have you learned from being a member of Leopard Athletic Teams? Leadership, Strategy, Problem Solving, Responsibility and Teamwork
- What do you like best from each sport that you participate? I have been lucky enough to have some of the best coaches that the state has to offer in Coach Boxell in basketball, Coach Littlefield and Coach Christensen in Cross Country, Coach Kelly and Coach Andrews in Track & Field. Beyond the great coaches, I would say that I like the team unity of Cross Country, the competitive nature and complexity of the game of basketball and the team makes track fun.
- What is your favorite academic subject at Lovejoy High School? Why? I have always liked science and I have MS Joseph and she makes it fun and interesting/
- Who is your favorite athlete? Why? Stephen Curry because he has an amazing work ethic and his style of play is fun to watch.
- What are your plans after graduation from Lovejoy High School? I would like to play basketball in college or be part of a track team. I am undecided on what I want to study.
- What is the best part of being a Leopard Athlete? Hands down being part of a team. I have been lucky to have played, jumped and run with some outstanding athletes over the past two years. I look forward to making more memories with my teammates in the next two years.
- Why did you decide to participate in the sports you have chosen at Lovejoy? I have enjoyed both since I was a little kid and believed I was good at both, so I wanted to keep playing for as long as I could.
- What Life skills have you learned from being a member of Leopard Athletic Teams? I have learned how to be a leader and I have learned that when adversity hits, it is then you have to work the hardest. I believe Football and Baseball have set me up to be very successful in life.
- What do you like best from each sport that you participate? In Football, I love how if one man does not do his job then the play cannot be successful. All 11 men have to work together in order to thrive and win. In Baseball, I love how one game you can lose to a team by 10 and the following game beat the same team by 10. It is not all about just flat talent.
- What is your favorite academic subject at Lovejoy High School? Why? English because I get assignments where I can be creative, express myself, and explain what I am thinking.
- Who is your favorite athlete? Why? Randy Moss – He played the game with a smooth confident style. Great Athlete.
- What are your plans after graduation from Lovejoy High School? To play baseball and get my degree at Bucknell University
- What is the best part of being a Leopard Athlete? How the community lifts you up and supports you. It makes you want to play a bit harder.